There are various different institutions under the Department of Biotechnology of the government of India. Some of them are as mentioned below. The autonomous institutes under the Department of Biotechnology, Government of India, play a crucial role in advancing biotechnology research, innovation, and development in the country. Here are some reasons why these institutes are important:
- Cutting-edge Research: These institutes are centers of excellence, conducting cutting-edge research in various areas of biotechnology. They contribute to expanding scientific knowledge, understanding biological processes, and developing innovative technologies.
- Addressing National Priorities: The institutes focus on addressing national priorities in healthcare, agriculture, environment, and other sectors. They work towards finding solutions to critical challenges such as disease control, food security, clean energy, and sustainable development.
- Human Resource Development: These institutes provide training and education opportunities for scientists, researchers, and students. They play a vital role in nurturing and developing the next generation of biotechnology professionals, strengthening the scientific workforce in India.
- Technology Transfer and Commercialization: Many of these institutes engage in technology transfer and commercialization activities. They collaborate with industries, startups, and entrepreneurs to translate research findings into practical applications, fostering innovation-driven entrepreneurship and economic growth.
- Policy and Advisory Role: These institutes contribute to policy formulation and provide scientific advice to the government. They assist in shaping national policies related to biotechnology, healthcare, agriculture, and other relevant areas, based on their expertise and research outcomes.
- Collaboration and Networking: These institutes actively collaborate with national and international research organizations, academic institutions, and industries. Such collaborations enhance knowledge exchange, facilitate interdisciplinary research, and strengthen the global standing of Indian biotechnology research.
- Public Health and Agriculture Impact: Through their research and development activities, these institutes contribute to improving public health by developing diagnostics, vaccines, and therapies for various diseases. They also work towards enhancing agricultural productivity, developing drought-resistant crops, and improving crop quality through biotechnological interventions.
Overall, these autonomous institutes are important because they are at the forefront of scientific research, innovation, and application of biotechnology to address societal needs, foster economic growth, and improve the quality of life for people in India and beyond.
Some autonomous institutes under the Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Government of India with contact details:-
1. National Institute of Immunology
Aruna Asaf Ali Marg,
New Delhi – 110067,India
Telephone: 26717121 to 26717145
Fax: 91-11-26742125 / 91-11-26742626
2. National Centre for Cell Science
University of Pune Campus,
Phone: +91-20-25708000 Fax:+91-20-25692259
3. National Brain Research Centre
NH-8, Nainwal Road
Manesar – 122 051, Distt:Gurgaon, Haryana, India
Phone: 0124 – 2845 2001, 2845 202
Email ID: info[at]nbrc[dot]ac[dot]in & admin[at]nbrc[dot]ac[dot]in
4. Center for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics [CDFD]
Bldg. 7, Gruhakalpa, 5-4-399 / B, Nampally
Hyderabad-500 001, India
Telephone: +91 – 40 – 2474 9321/22/23
Fax: +91 – 040 – 2474 9448
5. National Institute of Plant Genome Research
Aruna Asaf Ali Marg, P.O. Box No. 10531,
New Delhi – 110 067
Phone: +91-11-26735157, 26735143, 91-11-26741612, 14, 17,
Fax: – 91-11-26741658
6. Institute of Life Sciences
Nalco Nagar Rd, NALCO Nagar,
Chandrasekharpur, Bhubaneshwar, OD 751023
Phone:0674 230 1476.
7. Institute of Bioresources and Sustainable Development( IBSD)
Takyelpat , Imphal, Manipur- 795001 (INDIA)
Phone: 91-385-2446121/ 2446122
E-mail : ibsd_imp[at]sancharnet.in
8. Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology
Poojappura, Thiruvananthapuram – 695 014
Phone: +91- 471-2341716 | 2347975 | 2348104 | 2348753 | 2345899
Fax :+ 91- 471-2348096
9. Institute for Stem Cell Science and Regenerative Medicine (inStem),
GKVK – Post, Bellary Road,
Bangalore 560065, India.
Phone: 91-80-23666001 / 02 / 18 / 19
Email: info at instem dot res dot in
10. Translational Health Science and Technology Institute
NCR Biotech Science Cluster, 3rd milestone on Faridabad-Gurgaon Expressway, PO Box 4, Faridabad 121001
11. National Institute of Biomedical Genomics
Netaji Subhas Sanatorium (T.B. Hospital), 2 nd Floor
P.O.: N.S.S., Kalyani 741251, West Bengal, INDIA
12. Regional Centre for Biotechnology
NCR Biotech Science Cluster,
Bhankri, Faridabad – 121 004. Haryana
13. National Agri-Food Biotechnology Institute
Sector 81, Sahibzada Ajit Singh Nagar,
Mohali, Punjab 140306
14. National Institute of Animal Biotechnology (NIAB)
Opposite Journalist Colony
Extended Q city Road, Gachibowli
India, PIN: 500 032
Email: director[at]niab[dot]org[dot]in, admin[at]niab[dot]org[dot]in
Telephone: +91 40 23120115
Telefax: +91 40 23120130
15. CIAB (formerly Bio-Processing Unit)
C-127, II Floor, Phase-VIII, Industrial Area,
SAS Nagar, Mohali-160071, Punjab, India
Fax Number: 0172-4990204
16. ICGEB Campus
Aruna Asaf Ali Marg
110 067 New Delhi